A rebel attack is being prepared in Guinea Bissau and the Casamance region in Senegal, against Guinea, Conakry has announced. According to officials, the plotters are being financed by drug cartels with whom the new Guinean regime is at war.
“The Department of Homeland Security has been informed by the security services and other reliable sources of an imminent attack against Guinea,” said a notion-wide communiqué Saturday.
The coup plot is, reportedly, taking place on the country’s “borders with Guinea Bissau and the Casamance region” of Senegal. An alert claims that “groups and movements of men” have been seen around the northern border with Guinea Bissau and on the southern border, close to Foya in Liberia.
The authorities have so far warned that “any group that crosses its borders, would be tantamount to a declaration of war, will be outrightly suppressed and pursued into whatever country serves as their base”
The authorities have accused drug cartels of funding the said rebellion. According to the military junta in power, the rebel’s actions are as a result of crackdowns and arrests of criminals since the change of regime in December 2008.
The military, on the orders of Moussa Camara DADIS, President of the National Council for Democracy and Development (CNDD) has been strategically positioned along the country’s borders and are on high alert. The measure has neither affected the free movement of persons nor business the territory.
The head of state has also called on his neighbours to be more vigilant against any attempts to destabilise the Guinean government.
The Guinean authorities, according to international regulations, reserve “the right to defend and use all means to protect (their) people and (their) property”.